I know I'm well rested when I blog more than once a month! Within days of each entry! Of course, I could also be procrastinating. But not so today!
I've lots of free time and so one of my favorite hobbies has picked up. Shopping... for thrifted items! I've done this off and on in the past couple of years, but lately it's really gained momentum. I enjoy thrifting because of the money we save, the interesting items we find, it's environmentally friendly, and (usually) benefits a non-profit and good cause. I've taken some pictures of my latest, and some older, thrifted items.
I won't record everything I've found in this post though. A lot of stuff I thrift for the classroom. I've thrifted for craft items; many of you have seen the flowers I make and wear - all of those flowers were made from thrifted items. Craft supplies for my classroom projects have been thrifted. Some vintage kitchen stuff that you can't buy today and consequently, I enjoy giving away as gifts (gift basket) or to my family and friends. And other things that I've found for other people, those aren't documented today.
Today I'm documenting some of my favourite finds.
Oh, I find things from all sorts of places: thrift stores, craigslist, and garage sales (but none lately because Brad doesn't enjoy the thrifting process). One day I'll share about the (many) different thrift stores in the lower mainland. There are bajillions. No joke. Just go on google maps and search second hand stores near Vancouver or wherever you live.
Upon uploading all the pics, I realized that I've too many pictures. I'll save the clothing for another post. Sorry for all you deal-hunting fashionistas - come back for another post!
Mukmuk the cuddly kitty. Action for animals in distress society, $175 adoption fee.
Pyrex divided casserole dish with light blue snowflakes (looks dark because of the green reflection). I can't remember where it was from... I think Value village, and I can't remember what I paid. This was from awhile back.
Yellow pyrex mixing bowl with spout. All these pyrex patterns have names, but I'm not a collector so I don't know them. I just like them a lot. I've passed over lots that I've deemed too pricey. I know it was probably from Value Village.
Awesome belts. I've finally figured out how to wear a belt. I always thought I wasn't a belt person until recently. Red Belt, trimmed to fit me. Aunt Leah's Thrift store, $.50 Beige stretchy belt, trimmed end to look better. Salvation Army (Sally Ann), $.99 Camel coloured woven leather belt. Burnaby Hospice, $1.50 I've worn the leather one so far.
One of my absolute favourite finds in all of my thrifting adventures, this hand-made clock by someone named Ron, from Vancouver Island or surrounding area code. It was behind the cashier counter at Sally Ann. What did a pay for it? $14.99 LOVE IT.

A whack-load of costume jewelry that I wear regularly. The turqoise, yellow and brown round beaded one was actually a purse handle. I cut the beads off the handle and made it into a necklace. This was the priciest necklace, Sally Ann, $3.99 The string to thread I had on hand. Oops you can't see the lariat-style necklace in this pic. It's the black rope-ish thing. That was also a bit pricier, VV, $2.99 It had an ugly reddish cord with gold threads. The pendant is gold and dark jade!! Ew... I found a black cord at home. Much better. All the other beads were a dollar or less. Burnaby Hospice, most were barely $.50
Another favourite. I found this sweet, tiny owl sitting at the bottom of a basket of costume earrings. Burnaby Hospice, $.50
I've worn these shoes for several days now. Camel coloured leather loafers. Oh how I love loafers, as a best buddy of mine would attest and cringe internally (sorry, Natasha!) After I examined the quality (like new! hardly ANY wear on the sole), sniffed them, and tried them on, I couldn't let them go. I am still a tiny bit squeemish when it comes to second-hand shoes though, so I bought insoles for them. VV, $11.99
Here is where it lives in our house. C'est fantastique, non?
That's it for today. I've a lot more items, but I guess that's for another day!
Happy "Cananda" day!
1 comment:
For the shoes, bring them over and have mom steam them. That would get rid of any bacteria or whatnot so you don't end up with fungus.
Post a Comment