maybe success is measured best by nothing less than our obedience. - J.N.

July 16, 2010

My own thrifting tips

I've picked up some of my own thrifting tips along the way. These are things that I've learned through experience, though reading up on others' thrifting blogs tells me that the things that I've learned are common in the thrifter's world. So I suppose this list of tips will be an amalgamation of the things I've picked up and things that I've read.

  • Shop often. Once a week at a couple of stores. This does NOT mean you will find something, but increases your opportunity to hit the jackpot. The collections of items that I've been blogging about lately is an accumulation of items I've picked up over the past year! Not over the past week.
  • Get over the retail mindset. The retail mindset includes presentation, seasonal things, and immediate gratification. Retail stores and shopping malls are set up so that you WILL see something you like, you WILL find something you need, and you WILL find something you'll use. If you've an ounce of common sense, you'll realize that that is a lie. There are times when you will see something you like, need or will use. There are times when you think you do because of the way retail stores are set up. (Most) thrift stores are not set up so that you will see something pretty, something you'll need or use, right away. Thrift stores need to maximize their space so everything is put (piled, in some cases) closely together. You have to rummage to find something you (might) like. And keep reminding yourself that it's not always fruitful.
  • On that note, plan ahead. It's the Christmas concert. You need something different to wear instead of the same dress that you've worn for the past 2 years (true story). I'm already looking out for something that I can wear to the Christmas concert. If I wait until December, I'll likely not find something in time. Default: mall. Not as fun. Not as frugal. Not as environmentally friendly.
  • Don't buy if you don't LOVE it, NEED it, could USE it. Of course I've had to learn this the hard way. The following story reveals a lesson learnt. A NWT Banana Republic, long sleeve, 100% Rayon, professional dress which retails for $125, now selling at the thrift store for $30 isn't a deal if the top of the dress is too loose and poofy on your upper body. Yes, sometimes if you're crafty, you can fix that yourself. But for $30, it isn't worth the extra effort. True story.
With these experiences (tips) in mind, drop into a thrift store once in awhile. Browse around and see if there's anything that catches your eye. It doesn't have to be in your size bracket too (if it's clothing you're thrifting). Enjoy!

1 comment:

Mrs. Loquacious said...

My stylist also thrifts, and her tip is this: take the item you want, and hold it up away from the rest of the stuff in the store. Then ask yourself, "If I saw this in a store in the mall, would I buy it?"

Apparently it helps to see the item on its own to determine if it's really worth purchasing. She found 4 articles of clothing for $22 (all brand name).