maybe success is measured best by nothing less than our obedience. - J.N.

July 4, 2011

Swell

Two weeks into a intentionally plan-free summer and all goes swell.

My early childhood conference was enlightening and inspirational. If big Daddy foots the bill and provides the opportunity, I would be entirely willing to work on a Master's degree in early childhood education. Though it's all up to God though. There's definitely interest in this area. So much to learn and do during this time of life; such a worthwhile and rewarding age group to work with. I've reflected a lot on this topic already so I won't go into details here. Besides, might bore our 5 readers...

In other news, I've already done some thrifting around here since the beginning of summer. I've purposed to not thrift willy-nilly. Each thing I buy, unless there is some very unique and special circumstances or rationale, must be purposeful and useful. My first thrifting venture this summer was to find clothing for a friend. She loves the things I pick up and I told her that I'd pass along some thrifted goods that she might like. I probably found about 6-7 items and she kept 1. Not bad for a first attempt. I kept a few of the items. And exchanged a few items for things for myself.

I bought a couple of camping/r.v. games too. Our arsenal now includes scrabble and yahtzee along with tried and true apples to apples, taboo, double shutter, and set. Love those games. Actually, I haven't figured out how to play yahtzee yet, but I'm sure someone will teach me.

Tomorrow I get to go thrifting again! This time armed with a list of classroom things I'd like to add. It's prudent and wise to try to improve some small things each year of my teaching. This upcoming year, one of my focuses is going to be quality materials, including excellent organization of materials. This will improve students' organization of materials, entice students to use, create and explore, and (most enlightening) show a higher level of respect to my students. If I love, respect and care for my students as I claim to, shouldn't the types and varieties of materials in my classroom also reflect that? If I believe my students to be capable, creative and competent, shouldn't that be seen in what my students are allowed to work with and use? Perhaps this will also help me in my adhd-like method of organization i.e. particular items cannot be put away because for me it's out of sight, out of mind. Pray for me...

This summer, our small family has embarked on a new adventure. Life outside of facebook. Brad has had it for four years. I've had it for about six or seven. It's been four days since we've rid ourselves of our accounts and I'm pleased to report that it's not been difficult at all. This could be because I've plenty of other cyber hang-outs i.e. twitter, blogs and since yesterday, the APP store... but no regrets. It's better for our health, well-being and marriage! True story.
I still anticipate launching a family website - though I've not mustered the motivation to play around with it yet. I've still about 8 more weeks.

WHAT? There's only 8 more weeks of summer?!?! Good gravy - that so doesn't sound enough. I know it is enough because I find myself thinking each weekend (so far) that I should go to the classroom and begin to implement some of the changes I want to see in September. HAHAR. I know also that once I find myself in my classroom, I won't want to be there. So in the meantime, I'll think about thrifting, being at home and planning for a new house.




No comments: