Last week, I had the good fortune of a thrifting buddy. My thrifting buddy is usually my sister but since she works regular, human hours, and I'm a summer bum, she's not available. Other summer bums are, so my friend Cat went thrifting with me. She was a thrifting-newbie.
We soon discovered that she's a natural. As she listened intently and considerately to my little tips, she soon honed her snake-eye skills and started to develop her own flinch point. She lasted - wait for it - FIVE HOURS of thrifting with me. We were mostly thrifting for our classrooms. It was definitely successful. So successful that we have to hold off garage sale hunting for a few more weeks so our bank accounts can handle the abuse.
Mostly everything ended up at school but the few little items that I bought for home are as follows:
- An ikea game that I intended to add to the R.V. stash but the rules are too complicated to sort out so it'll be repurposed into a classroom material
- Practical item: Excellent condition pyrex measuring cup
- Practical item: Microwave omelette maker - also for those school days when there aren't any leftovers but plenty of eggs and veggies
- Practical item: Vintage pyrex refrigerator dish (pictured below)
- Decorative wooden owl for my desk at work (pictured below)
I was so happy to enable Cat to thrift with me. We spent some good quality time together as we hunted and found random (read: unusual and weird) items. I like to enable people. I've enabled quite a lot of people to things that I like. Of course, if one loves something, one usually wants to share the love. She mentioned that our profession is like that of enabling. More general enabling of course, and also more specific. We enable children to learn.
In other news, I've been "enabled". At first, we didn't want to get iPhones for either of us but in an interesting turn of provision, we both got iPhones this week! I've acquired an iPhone through an unusual way. My friend needed to unload her iPhone & plan due to circumstances. We initially did not want to pay higher monthly rates for an iPhone plan but since Brad's work took over his contract and is paying for his phone, it frees up our budget to pay for a monthly plan for one of us. Enter my dear friend. We took over her phone and contract, and now I CAN'T stop browsing apps and taking photos on instagram! Just check out my twitter feed! In the past couple of days I've already "tweeted" from our multiple mobile devices! And now that I've my own iPhone, there's pictures galore.
Even if you don't have your own twitter account, you can still follow me on twitter by clicking here. I update quite regularly, especially since I'm a summer bum.
Any recommended apps?
2 comments:
I know Instagram is free, but it can't beat hipstamatic! haha I follow this tumblr account called hipstacats! where they just repost everyone's photos of cats...charmander has been posted on there before too! hahahaha
I want to go thrifting so badly but they all close at 4:30 (well the good ones) and Keith won't go with me to VV or SA =( VV is awesomely close though...I bought two tops there the other day! BSF clothes!~
You forgot to mention how we enabled you to buy a camera. hahahahaha
I love Hipstamatic! :) But I usually use Camera+.
Some of the apps I have on my phone:
- all of the Angry Birds games
- Cineplex Odeon & Flixster
- Starbucks
- Facebook ;)
- Urbanspoon
- Words with Friends
- Shazam (if you're an audiophile - I put it on for my Hubbs)
- YouVersion Holy Bible
- Hanging with Friends
...plus a bunch of games. I am going to app-shop some more later, but after a while it is an expensive hobby!
Post a Comment