maybe success is measured best by nothing less than our obedience. - J.N.

October 11, 2013

Oh my word -

- where does the time go?

We're closing in on a year with our sweet K-bao.

#babiesdontkeep is a hash-tag I often use when posting pictures of my little one.  It is just inconceivable to me how quickly time passes when children are involved.  Of course, I had a sense of this as I'm a teacher, but truly, the passing of time is magnified when one has children of her own.

He's been crawling for months now.

He's been pulling himself to stand for months now.

He's been climbing steps (though he doesn't often get the chance to) for over a month now.

He can cruise (push his 'lawnmower' or other furniture) all by himself!  Also has been happening for a few weeks now.

He's making word associations.  Daaaaad!  Mamamama.  Milk (lots of smiles and panting).  up up (reaches arms upwards).  The other night, we were sure he signed more.  Something he learned at grandma's...?

Since returning to work, life has been... okay.  Different, but okay.  I relish the time we get to spend together as a family, and also with my boy.  Our house is going messy more often than not.  Our dishes pile up way more.  Our poor diaper laundry takes a few days to complete its course of cleaning.  Let's not talk about regular clothing laundry.

I still haven't slept a full adult sleep cycle in... I don't know how long ago... but we have a great set up.  It works pretty good and we're satisfied with it while it's working.

The Kbao falls asleep on his floor bed, either by nursing, or by himself, while we stay with him.  We sneak away.  When he wakes, I nurse him back to sleep and sneak away, if I'm not half asleep.  If I roused from sleep to nurse him, then I'm often not lucid enough to sneak away and end up sleeping on the floor with him.

He probably wakes about 4 times a night.  Rarely less.  Sometimes more.  Typically he nurses right back to sleep.  Sometimes, of late quite frequently, he wakes and fusses.  And fusses.  And thrashes around.  Tries to crawl on me.  Sits up and cries.  Until he either falls asleep on his own, or nurses to sleep.  It probably never lasts more than 20-30 minutes but in the middle of the night, it feels like forever!

When he's winding down for sleep, either before a nap or in the evening, the time I spend with him is so priceless.  He is so happy, mellow and content.  He's sweet.  He coos.  He smiles.  He giggles.  He kisses.  He chats to himself, to me.  He cuddles.  After a long day at work, without my boy, it is a treat to be able to spend time with him before he falls asleep.  We love it.  Often, Brad will do his bedtime routine (stories, song, prayer) and we just *love* the time together.

I want these to be the moments I remember and hold close.  I choose these moments.

Thank the Lord that He's provided such blessed care for our boy.  Kbao's grandmothers, and our families actually, all contribute to care for our offspring.  We can work confidently knowing that they love and care for our babies with the utmost concern.

I'm also thankful that God realigns my priorities regularly.  Maybe it's a personality thing, but I don't often stress about Kbao's sleep.  Or feeding.  Or even his refusal to take the bottle from anyone but Brad.  Although I'm struggling to give up pumping... I don't want to let go of the milk supply!!...

I am just so thankful.

As I look around my messy living space, see my stinky-special needs kitty curled atop clean laundry, knowing my little one is asleep, cosy in his bed, watch my tired hubby preparing for bible study, I am blown away at how abundantly God has blessed.

Through these things, His glory just shines.  Not because He's given, but because He is good.  And what He creates is good.  There is goodness here because He is.

I really didn't intend for this to be a thanksgiving post *at all* in any way, shape or form.  But I guess He had other ideas for this post.

Happy little Kbao eating cheerios







No comments: