maybe success is measured best by nothing less than our obedience. - J.N.

August 19, 2013

Thrifting with child(ren)

Having a baby sure changes things.

One thing that hasn't changed though is my love for thrifting.  I still enjoy thrifting.  I still want to thrift. I still find time to go visit thrift stores and browse second-hand goods.

But *how* I go about thrifting nowadays is totally different than pre-baby thrifting.

Before we had a kid, particularly during holidays, thrifting could take hours as I perused practically the whole store at my leisure.  Nowadays, I only look at what's necessary, or in sections where I'm looking for something in particular.

Before the kid (BTK), I could hit up several thrift stores in a day.  Nowadays, one, maximum two depending on how the little guy is doing, is a fun thrift day.

BTK, I'd purchase clothing for myself and the standards were whether it was in good shape, good price, good quality and I like it.  Nowadays, the standards have become - is this item baby friendly?

BTK, if something wasn't *perfect* but could work, or I really liked it, I'd purchase it.  It's only thrift afterall.  I could donate it back and not be hurtin'.  And you'd think, if it's good enough for me, then it's good enough for my kid, right?  So not right.  Nowadays, it has to be better than awesome for my baby.  We're talking things like toys and clothing here... Nothing but second hand best for my offspring :)  haha again - toys and clothing.  Oh, also some babygear such as cloth diaper covers and carriers.  I recently got a great quality, Canadian made, linen ring sling for $25.  The more I use it, the more I love it.  Wish I had some ring slinging pictures....

Last weekend while we were in the area, my lovely boys accompanied me to a secondhand children's store: Once Upon A Child.  We quickly browsed the store for things our baby might need (fall clothing, books, wooden toys, double stroller for my mom...) and ended up with a few items of fall clothing in excellent condition, and a car mirror since ours broke.

The prices at the store above are decent.  Some prices better than others.  They price primarily by brand, though the odd item it seemed, was priced by condition.  Our clothing splurge for the little man was an $8 zip up sweater by Mexx.

Then on Saturday as I drove home from the grocery store, I stopped at a few yard sales in the neighbourhood.  I found one that was totally baby themed and scored more branded clothing in nearly new condition for a buck a piece!  I was in thrifting seventh heaven.

Lemme show you what we found second hand...


Carter's hoodie $1, Gap onesie "Naps are for wimps" $5.50,
Mexx zip up $8, Gap zip up $1 



Gymboree red $forgot, Gap blue $forgot
Mexx grey $1

Unpictured - Pekkle sleeper $1

I gotta say, I think Gymboree, Baby Gap and Mexx are my favourite infant clothes for style and quality.  I like Joe Fresh styles too, but their clothing won't last multiple children.





1 comment:

Nicole Elisabeth said...

There's a once upon a child store close to me & I've been tempted to go in. Now that we're nearing the next size up for Edi (9 month size for my 3 month old son, yikes!) I think I might give it a try. You're post inspires me to go thrifting, I love buying second hand.