So as I want to have another baby already, though we will continue to wait as we'd like to try a vbac for the next child, the Lord willing, I will just content myself to thinking about babies and things related to babies.
In that light, here's my take on baby essentials. In no particular order.
A baby swing. I don't necessarily recommend buying this new as they're stupidly expensive considering what a short time they're used for. If you can borrow or buy used, go for it. It was super handy to get a little one to fall asleep when nursing didn't work. It also worked well to entertain the baby while I had to get a few things done around the house. Ours has a cosy, womb-ish, snug feeling, so it probably made the kid feel secure, like he was back in his "happy place." haha
Nose Frida. The kid had a lot of newborn mucous that hung around until probably about 4 months post partum. This handy device helped clear out mucous for him whenever it seemed he needed it. When he had a mild cold, this was invaluable along with saline solution.
Receiving blankets/swaddling blankets. Before I had the baby, I couldn't understand what the deal was with these little flannel blankets. What on earth was the point? After the kid came, we went through our entire stack (think like 20+) in a matter of days. We used them for everything! To keep him warm, to mop up any liquids, to line the changing pad, to line nursing pillow, to shade the sun in the car, to use at tummy time, to roll up to keep him in place, etc..... Then when he grew bigger, I got my hands on a couple of muslin swaddling blankets. Those are *awesome*. First of all, they're massive. I can probably swaddle my 8 month old in (I don't though). And they're light and airy - won't overheat my little oven of a babe. I'm trying to convince the kid to use it as his security blanket. So far so good.
Diaper shirts. To us, anything that was diaper-friendly meant that it had snaps or zipper up the front. Nothing that had to go over the head of the baby. It did eventually get easier to put clothing over the boy's head. He's got a massive melon (courtesy of mom...) and sometimes, we still have difficulties. Then we laugh at him because he's so darn cute when he's angry.
Chocolate. Do I need to explain why? Okay - endorphins. Ahhh....
A good breast pump. Since no one really knows how their breastfeeding journey will be like, particularly at the beginning, a good (electric) breastpump can really help ease anxiety around milk supply. Some women could only be efficient hand expressing. That works! It doesn't for me. But really, if you're worried about supply, just keep nursing baby as much as you can over a span of 2-3 days. As in, that's almost ALL you do during those days.
I enjoyed wearing my kid, but since he's my first, I didn't find it essential to getting through the day. I do it more now as we're out and about, rather than when he was younger. He was never super, duper clingy - though he did have his days - so I never felt the need to wear him day after day. I have 3 baby carriers, all different styles, and I like them all though I'm not in *LOVE* with any of them. Yet.
As some of you know, I love cloth diapering. I am easy on myself though. We used a cloth diaper service for the first 3 months thanks to the loving generosity of relatives. Then when we stopped changing the kid's diaper in the night, I tried very hard to cloth diaper at night, attempting ALL the recommended solutions I found on the inter web. As our kid sleeps more like a newborn now than he ever did, which means he drinks *tons* of milk at night, there was no cloth diapering solution that I was happy with. By 4-5 AM in the morning, I was always worried that he'd leak. Or he'd actually be wet. And stinky. So right now, I use disposables at night time. Thanks to the generosity of friends who gave us disposable diaper cakes before the little one arrived.
Anyway, all that to say, I found that a variety of cloth diaper styles work best for our family. I like using different options for different circumstances. We have a home diaper, which is bulky, breathable, and needs more frequent changing. We have a going out option which is trimmer, and has a stay-dry feeling so the little one doesn't need as frequent changing. We have a daddy option too, so that Brad can easily pop a clean and dry diaper on the kid. Then there are a few random options that I use once in awhile according to my whims. I'll stop here. I could go on for paragraphs....
Coconut oil. We use this totally natural moisturizing oil for everything baby related. It's his moisture barrier for diapers (and it's cloth diaper safe). And use it to moisturize his skin too. Totally healthy, totally natural. It's super good for you, thanks to the info my thoughtful MIL sent me.
Anyway... Ya'll just check this blog for the cute baby pics right? Haha here you go.
After a nursing break in the car
Hah - wouldn't it be awesome if he learns
how to drive this car in the future?
No comments:
Post a Comment