maybe success is measured best by nothing less than our obedience. - J.N.

July 25, 2013

I heart my hubby

I meant to make a Father's Day post to recognize my awesome Hubby, but it didn't happen.

I'm currently trying to teach the kid that it's okay to sleep on his own, so here I am at the computer whilst he naps on the floor bed in his room.

Those sentences *are* actually relevant.

For the past 8 months, the kid slept in our room.  This was based on the recommendations of numerous experts in various baby related fields and all for various reasons.

I loved having the kid sleep in our room.

When he outgrew his bassinet, we borrowed a thin, firm mattress from my parents.  The mattress used to be used by me (or my sister).  Awesome mini-twin size from HK.  We set it up as a floor bed beside our bed.

He spent a night on it quite well; he didn't wake as often as he had been.

Then he got a cold and was waking up to 6 times a night.

A week later he had his immunizations and continued to wake frequently, read every 1-2 hours.

Survival mode kicked in and the kid slept in our bed.

This lasted for over 8 weeks.  Sometimes on the floor bed, sometimes on our bed.

Last week, I went for a walk with a neighbour who was sympathetic to his night wakings.  (Note about night wakings.  Night wakings are common with breastfed babies.  Night wakings are even more common when room/bed sharing with breastfed babies.  I already knew this, but didn't actually think of why this would be the case.)  She said that her own babe woke up less when she moved him to his own room.  I asked, why do you think that is?  She said, because he can't smell you.

DUH, Sharon.  I said this to myself.  She would not be that rude :)

And if it doesn't work, she said, then just go back to what you were doing.

DUH, Sharon.  Again, self-talk.

When Brad came home that afternoon, I told him that I wanted to try him in his crib (that the kid had NEVER slept in before) starting that weekend.  I would set up the floor bed in his room too, just in case I have to camp out because our kid doesn't like change.  It takes him a while to get used to things.  He comes by that trait honestly...

So Friday evening (after we had made his room look less storage room like, more baby room like), we began a new sleep arrangement.  Night time routine happened in there.  I nursed baby to sleep in there.

I won't lie, it's not been easy, AT ALL.

He continues to have a hard time settling for the evening, taking anywhere from 1-2.5 hours before I can finally lay him in his crib for a longer chunk of sleep.  My evening looks like this most nights:

Nurse baby to sleep, baby stirs whilst I try to move him, fuss fuss...  *repeat*

Sometimes I do end up getting him in the crib, but he will wake shortly after.  Repeat process.

But we have seen some progress.  Once he eventually settles, he has slept a few 4 hour chunks!  YAY!  I haven't seen that in over two months!

We're going very slowly, lots of comforting, baby steps.  So we still end up cosleeping for about half the night.  But in the kid's room.

How does hubby play into all this as the awesomest hubby ever?

First off, hubby now gets much better sleep without his kid screaming for mom multiple times a night, sometimes right by his head.  He doesn't get judo chopped and kicked in the back throughout the night. He can move around his bed without worry of squashing his baby.  Hubby can be better rested as the primary bread-winner at the moment.

Secondly, Brad is always encouraging and confirming to me that we're doing the right thing.  He affirms that I'm a good mom and wife, even when most of the time, I'm just muddling through as best as I can at that moment.  He understands where I'm coming from in regards to all my concerns, fears and worries.  But he doesn't brush me off, instead he's reassuring and kind when I share with him my thoughts.

Thirdly, he LOVES me.  And our kid.  A lot.  He is an amazing father.  He always has things in perspective, like the line, just because the kid nurses to sleep, it doesn't mean he isn't going to love Jesus.

And that can't be reiterated enough on this blog.  Because truly, this is what it's about.

We love Jesus.

We want our kid to love Jesus.

And the way that I am responding to my kid at the moment, isn't going to determine whether or not he's going to love Jesus.  Only His Grace determines.

So at the moment, I respond as I see fit.  Sometimes my mommy radar says: get the kid now.  Sometimes my mommy radar says: finish putting the laundry away.

Our kid is happy, healthy, and in a Jesus loving environment.  That is the best we can do for him.

See why my hubby's so great?








My beloved boys






















2 comments:

Nicole Elisabeth said...

DUH! That baby smells mommy at night if he's sleeping in the same room. I can't believe I never thought about that either! Makes so much sense, I was hoping to start moving Edison over to his room next month. I'll keep that in mind. And that's so great that your hubby is so great!

Mrs. Loquacious said...

He *is* a great guy! :)