maybe success is measured best by nothing less than our obedience. - J.N.

January 5, 2009

Twas a snowy, wintry, wet, & blustery evenin'....

... which resulted in my first career snow day!!  I was super surprised to receive my 6 am phone call, but a 6 am phone call I did receive.  Boy, never thought I'd be so pleasantly surprised at that unearthly hour, but at that unearthly hour was I pleasantly surprised.  

"Enjoy another day off..."  said the cheery voice of my Kindergarten colleague (bless her)!


Check that out!!!!  Is this even Vancouver?!?!?!
(Disclaimer:  This snowfall is not indicative of last night's snowfall.  This picture was taken during one of the heavier snow dumps over the holidays.  It is merely indicative of the insanity that's been occurring on the West Coast most recently.  Insanity.)


Remarking to Brad, "I never had snow days when I went to elementary school."  
He responded, "But that's because if you did, you guys would never have had to attend school at all..."  (He's jealous.  He wishes he had a snow day, too.)

It's so true.  Growing up in weather extreme SE Ontario, Ottawa to be exact (Windsor was not too cold as the area was regulated by Great Lake weather systems... much like Van. to be exact), several feet of snow, regular -20 degree temperatures, and nippy windchill factors were the norm.  Recesses saw snow boots, thick snow pants, ninja-style tuques, mittens, scarves, long wooly underwear, warm hand-knit sweaters, another warm sweater, maybe one more sweater vest for good effort, and out we go to huddle in the corner where the wind didn't blast.
(My ninja tuque was BRIGHT pink... I'd find you a picture, but I'd have to go to my parents' house and I am without a vehicle at the moment... sorry!)

Nevertheless, as pleasantly surprised as I am with my extra day of holiday, I am tired of the snow.  This is not what we expect from Vancouver even amidst the protests "Get a grip.  You live in the great WHITE north."  Bah!  I say.  Let's get on with the wet weather so the children can have inside days again... 

My chocolate mousse was alright.  It was an interesting recipe.  

semi-sweet chocolate
vanilla extract
cream cheese
cool whip

AND...

marshmallow creme.

Yes, folks, it's exactly what it sounds like.

Anyway, I think the marshmallow creme (the whole darn jar) added to the dessert made it ultra dense and rich.  I even compensated by using the whole tub of cool whip instead of the "suggested" 1.5 cup.  

Next time (if I ever try again), I will definitely not add the whole jar of marshmallow creme.  Perhaps I will try a raw egg chocolate mousse recipe instead.  They don't look too difficult.  Or perhaps I will make like my MIL and SIL and just use packaged goodness.  Mmmm... easy, chocolatey goodness...

This ends my uncharacteristic two posts in a month?!?!  Within days of the last?!?!  L'etrange...

Farewell, for another month.  Probably.





No comments: