maybe success is measured best by nothing less than our obedience. - J.N.

July 12, 2007

What blogs are made of...

Well here we are! Life is finally normal again. Though that won't last long! I am slowly but surely starting to settle into the real life of wife/student. Being (newly) married does not lend itself to student life easily. I guess the two don't usually go together. It takes work for the roles to meld. How do you do it, that is if you're in a similar situation?

Today was a "normal" (or as I would perceive to be normal...) day for the wife/student that is me. I didn't have to work (I guess part-time job is part of the student package right?) So I slept in (which was really good because it's my "tired" week; achy and somewhat sore all over...) even though it is quite warm. We're blessed with a partial underground basement suite; lots of bugs (though there are less spider things indoors now that it is not wet and cold outdoors) but cool and comfortable. Our old school fan serves to ventilate the air keeping us just right. It sure is a loud fan though; I liken it to traffic outside closed windows.

Did some washing and putting away of old bachelor items (hand-me-down dishes etc.) to make room for new "us" stuff. Yet, we'll still have to leave a lot of our new "us" in its lovely packaging, and stored at either of our gracious parental units' homes. They are so accommodating. It is definitely another blessing to have family in the vicinity. When cars are smashed, as ours was this past week, it is a relief to have our parents' extra vehicle ready to lend to their worried (I was at least...) children. Thank God!

Yes, our car was rear-ended on Saturday. Bummer... especially that I was driving too. This does not help my confidence in driving a standard car. I know it wasn't our fault but I still feel lousy. I have been saying that this probably wouldn't have happened if Brad was driving (which he could have been as there was really no reason for me to be driving... except for practice?!) but I don't know that. Still...

ICBC qualified the car for express claim (or whatever it's actually called) so we were given a claim number and sent to a c.a.r. shop for it to be fixed up. That was Monday and we picked up the car yesterday! The auto shop did a good job and they were really helpful. I appreciated the good customer service they offered. Right now I'm just praying that the lady who hit us won't pull anything funny so that the whole process will go smoothly. Pray with us!

Brad has been extending his painting services lately. He has been helping his Grandparents paint their apartment (the nook and the bedroom) so our Saturdays are spent over there at their home. He paints and I either keep his grandma company or work on my schoolwork. I think one more Saturday will finish both our work! Again, I pray it will...

Brad also helped my sister paint her new room (my old room). It looks really good. I don't know if she's taken and posted any pictures yet. Check out her blog (linked on the right there as" Helen") if you're interested. She's got a feature wall that's an olive'y green and the other walls are a light chocolate brown. It's really calming and comfortable. Fortunately (another blessing really, not fortune...) the bedroom is big enough to host such warm colours without making the room look too small.

My work transfer has hit a bump in the road. The district manager wants to know my Sept. availability. Being a full time student (hopefully... if i don't fail my course come Aug), I have a 40+ hour courseload! It's a hard core year. I won't have a lot of time to work, maybe 10-12 hours per week. I don't know how the manager at the New Store will appreciate that. But it won't hurt to submit a rough estimate I guess. My manager at my current store tells me that it's ultimately up to the store manager. If she is ok with my measly availability in favor of my experience, then she could take me anyway. Otherwise, I don't know what else to do with my Starbucks experience. I could stay at my Richmond store, or quit. Though I'm not ready to part with my partner discount. Also, Brad and I don't sense that it's time to leave the Starbucks cult (discount aside of course). We will just have to wait and see. That's another specific prayer item if you're one to pray specifically. Thanks :)

We have also yet to receive 6 presents from our gift registry. I have a suspicion that these 6 items were all purchased online. They haven't called me to notify me to pick up items either. IT'S BEEN OVER 6 WEEKS!!!!!!! I am NOT impressed. I really hope it's just a system kink or whatever because I would like those gifts! We will hassle the gift registry representative at our store (Lansdowne). More on this after the said "meeting"....

OK, I'm getting hungry... Time for a late lunch! Sorry I don't have any pictures to share this time. I'm not good with keeping pictures up to date. There are lots of pictures to see of other people's lives though if you're interested in that kind of thing. Just check out the "Other Blogs" to the right. Lots of those are teeming with pics!

Edit:
We went down to Lansdowne this evening. We had phoned the store earlier this afternoon. Here is how the conversation went:

*ring ring*
Chris: Home Outfitters at Lansdowne mall, Chris speaking, how can I help you?
Sharon: Hi, I'm just wondering if Cassandra is working, or when is the next time she is working.
Chris: She's working right now.
Sharon: Oh excellent. Could I talk to her please?
Chris: Yes, hold on.

*Sharon is put on hold. Lovely music comes on as she waits for a few minutes. Then the phone starts to ring ring again*
Another person: Hi, this is home outfitters.
Sharon: Hi, is Cassandra there please?
Another person: Yes, hold on.

*Sharon is put on hold. Said lovely music comes on again as she waits. Then... click*
Yet another person: Hi, who were you looking for?
Sharon: CASSandra!
Another person: Oh sure, hold on.

*Sharon is now on hold for the 3rd time. She hums to the lovely music....*
Cassandra: Hi, this is Cassandra speaking.



HAHA


Well, I told her who I was and she immediately knew which gifts I still hadn't received. Apparently, they've been calling me and leaving me messages. I've never received the said messages. I don't know who they've been leaving messages with, but it wasn't me. I know that they have my cell phone number because they've called me in the past AND after receiving the actual gifts, my phone number was written correctly on the gift slips. So strange...

We got it all sorted out. We've received all the gifts that were purchased online and such. She was actually very helpful and friendly. Besides the miscommunication regarding the online gift situation after our wedding, I'm quite pleased with the whole Home Outfitters gift registry thing. Thank you to everyone who contributed to it! And thank you Home Outfitters.

That's it for now! Until next time....

Mrs. Snider.
(muahhahaha)

4 comments:

Rachel said...

sharon, i love reading your blog! glad to hear that things have been sorted out with your gifts :) came fall we will be in the same boat (wife/student/working) so i'm sure we'll have a lots to talk about :) hope your course goes well. i know you'll do great!

Helen said...

I haven't posted a picture yet...my furniture has been moved in so far but I want to fully decorate it and such before posting a picture! One negative is that it does make the room darker...and thus I will be consuming more energy...maybe I'll get big mirrors to reflect more light...hey...GOOD IDEA! hahaha

theresa :) said...

sorry to hear bout that fender bender incident. no need to feel bad if it wasn't your fault tho!

you can't end your starbucks experience when i'm just starting mine!! haha.. thanks for that tip on fb. that will be pretty hard to keep up when you start school tho.. crazy.

Anonymous said...

wow I been out of the loop sorry to hear about your car I'm glad to hear that you guys are safe though that's the important part the rest god will take care of for you! and hey bring over a lot of free coffee when or before you decide to quit!! hehe just kidding!have a good day guys!!