I want to chronicle the first breastfeeding timeline that we've experienced, mostly for my own memory's sake. But also in case anyone else wants to take a look to see what others experience during a breastfeeding relationship.
Birth - baby had difficulty latching on. Would scream with the nipple in his mouth and try a few ducks but couldn't seem to get what he wanted. This was worse in the left side versus the right. I pumped after every attempt to nurse. Hubby fed baby formula or pumped colostrum/transitional milk.
A few days after birth - we tried a nipple shield. Baby latched and nursed. It took a looooooong time, each nursing session. Both sides took up to 45 minutes. Babe was pretty good at pacing and not falling asleep despite the slow flow of nipple shield. I pumped regularly (maybe 2-3 times a day) because I was paranoid that my supply might be impacted negatively due to using a shield.
0-3 months - always nursed with the shield. It was a bit high maintenance but we were glad I didn't need to pump around the clock. I stopped pumping regularly a few weeks in (probably about 4-5) since brad went back to work. It still took a really long time for baby to have a full meal but he was happy, gaining and wetting diapers. I would try to latch him without the shield on occasion but he'd always scream. I didn't push it. I could also pretty much nurse anywhere. Baby didn't mind being nursed under a cover. Nursed approximately every 2-3 hours, except at night when he'd go 4-6 hour stretches due to sleep (glory sleeping days....!)
4-6 months - nursing time began to reduce to 20-30 minutes total. I usually nursed both sides. He was still able to nurse under a cover but if it was too noisy, he might get distracted. Around this time, I started to use a cover less and opt for a quiet place instead. It helped baby not get distracted and fall asleep nursing, which he still does at times... Nipple shield is still our love/hate tool. Still nursed approximately every 2-3 hours but now it also happened through the night. The zombie mom is born during this time.
6 - 8 months - nursing time reduced to about 15-25 minutes total. I still fed from both sides (still usually do) no more cover. No distractions possible. Which was fine because that meant we had to be in a quiet place anyway. Nipple shield still in use. Still little kid was nursing every 2-3 hours. He couldn't sign for 'milk' yet but when I asked and signed it to him, he'd give a happy chuckle indicating that that was what he wanted. It ws adorable. He still nursed through the night. Sometimes more frequently than every 2 hours. Zombie mom truly feels like walking dead some days.
Around 8 months - my sister suggested that perhaps, if he didn't use a nipple shield, the cosleeping would be more restful (since I always had to remove the shield at night when finished because it could be a choking hazard if folded up and jammed into his mouth, plus it's not good to leave it on, plus I needed to keep it clean-ish for the next wake up...) so I tried to nurse him without the shield again. I stopped trying regularly because I had resigned myself to not stress out about using the shield. It had obviously not harmed my supply and my baby was getting what he needed.
One night, he nursed to sleep without using the shield and ever since then, we've not needed it. It was glorious.
My supply actually regulated properly after we finished with the shield. Prior to that, I had an over supply. I got engorged often, let downs were strong and spraying, and I was more prone to plugged ducts. Got mastitis a couple of times too. That all went away after we ditched the shield.
9 months - I went back to work around this time. Up until boyboy was a year old, I pumped once a day at work so he'd have some breast milk when he was with grandmas. He didn't drink much of what I pumped. He liked drinking from the source. He continued to nurse through the night and regularly when he was with me. Morning, afternoons, weekends. Probably up to 4-8 times depending on the day and mood. Through the night, still every 2 hours give or take. Oh and it'd take him up to 10 minutes usually. 15-20 minutes if he was tired. Still, only quiet places would work. I was an absolute zombie. I think I ran on adrenaline for months, if that's possible.
1 year plus - rarely does it take more than 10 minutes to nurse, unless he's really tired. He still nurses through the night, usually every 2 hours give or take, occasionally every 3 hours. This night nursing thing continues until somewhere around 17 months (NOW.....) We usually only nurse at home on demand. But my supply fluctuates since some days, I am away from him for a long time, and other factors. When we're out and about and he asks (verbally. He began signing for it around 1 year old. Began to say it a few months ago.) I usually distract him. If he's really super desperate and there's a quiet place we can retreat to, then I nurse him. There's no covering now. Completely unacceptable to him.
Now - I am so glad we got to this point. I always made short term goals when it came to nursing. And now, it's all just icing on the cake! Baby boy loves nursing. It's his comfort and connection. We love nursing. It's our secret tool. It's our consolation when the boy isn't well, doesn't eat well, is small on the percentiles... :) He usually only asks to nurse at home or when he's tired and fussed. Even when he's hurt, he doesn't ask (he used to...) unless it's really bad (like when he got burns on his hand :( bad mothering day for me....) He also grew out of nursing through the night (PRAISE THE LORD!) He sleeps through the night now, waking around 4-ish and nursing off and on until wake up time. This really just started about 2 weeks ago today and it's not yet super consistent, though it's most nights now. YAY!
We are blessed because he *RARELY* ever bit me, even when he was teething. Not sure why this was though... just him, I guess.
This is our first breastfeeding journey so far. I don't know when we will be finished this first journey. I have no goals, just an open mind. One consistent thing about young children is that they change consistently. With that in view, we go with the flow, considering different factors in our life together as it changes, in regards to breastfeeding our first baby.
No comments:
Post a Comment