maybe success is measured best by nothing less than our obedience. - J.N.

June 10, 2013

Sucker

My 6-month-old's latest attitude is that sleep is for suckers. 

He's never woken this frequently throughout the night, even when he was a newborn. The past couple of weeks has been just brutal, night sleep wise. The kid is waking up to 6 times a night but I usually lose count after 4. At first, I thought it was a cold. Then I thought it was his immunizations. No such luck. 

It's been over a week since his shot, and things in the night sleep department aren't looking well. I prayed over him this afternoon. God can change his sleep patterns, right? RIGHT??

Naps haven't been too bad. They're not super long when he's left to his own devices, but when I nap guard and help him along, he can sleep a good 1-2 hours at least once a day. That didn't happen today though. Needless to say, we have a tired, cranky, kid. And a tired, cranky, mom. 

I suppose I've been spoiled in the sleep department. Up until a few weeks ago, the kid used to sleep through the night (5-6 hours) some of the time. He used to only wake 1-2 times. 

It is so hard to do anything but shove a breastaurant in his face when he's screaming at 2:30 AM. For the 4th time. Especially when there's a hubby on the other side of me who needs to sleep for another  1.5 hr before waking for work. 

Being a mom is really hard. A part of me doesn't feel bad that I do what I do to make it through the choppy nights. My kid needs me. He's obviously going through changes (in the past two weeks, he can sit up on his own for looonngg periods of time!!) so that may affect his brain and sleep. I'm cool with that. Babies don't keep right? And this too shall pass. 

Another part of me feels incredibly guilty and deflated. Did I create this sleepless monster in adorable kid disguise? Am I ruining his sleep habits? His rest? His future?? It's a downward spiral. Can I somehow be more consistent? More firm? More rigid? 

I'm at a loss of what to do. 

B


2 comments:

Mrs. Loquacious said...

If you have to parent your boy to sleep, so be it. It's our job to help our babies sleep, and at his age it's not a matter of "spoiling" him but of helping him get rest so that he can grow up healthy. But then again, you know I'm staunchly in the Attachment Parenting camp and we are still big on co-sleeping :)

Hope you get some rest (and that K rests too!) very soon! And don't second guess your momma intuition!

Nicole Elisabeth said...

I'm honestly not there yet, Edison is five months behind K but I can relate to feeling like somehow it was my actions that led to something that's affecting my boy. I just wanted to say that I'm saying a prayer for you! This mom stuff is hard! I agree, and it changes so frequently that it feels hard to keep up. You're not alone :)