maybe success is measured best by nothing less than our obedience. - J.N.

January 31, 2013

Ah newborns...

I *LOVE* my son.

He is absolutely perfect.

Okay, that's an incorrect worldview.  He's not perfect but, to us, he is just absolutely wonderful.  Exactly the way that God intended him to be.  Maybe that's my definition of perfection.  I just want to eat him up and cover him with kisses every time I pick him up.

Lately, we've been struggling with newborn sleep.  Apparently, this is a normal thing for many newborns.  Daytime sleeps are very varied.  Even in newborn habits, our little one is typical, much to my relief as a teacher and parent.  I've been totally obsessed with naps over the past couple of weeks.  K used to stay up for way too long and become overtired.  It made putting him down for the night very difficult.  Over the past few days, I've been diligently trying to put him down after no more than approximately 1-2 hours of wakefulness.  He doesn't always sleep for long - anywhere between 30 minutes to 2 hours.  The 2 hour naps usually happen in the car seat while we're out and about, so that means I don't get to nap.  But that's okay as I'm pretty certain my body has adjusted to consecutive short chunks of night sleep.

Anyway, we used our toys r' us gift cards to purchase a baby swing in hopes that the rocking movement will put him to sleep or keep him asleep so that I don't have to hold him whilst he naps when we're at home.  He *loves* the swing.  He sits in it happily looking up at his reflection or mobile smiling or cooing, up to 30 minutes!  But up till this morning, he didn't nap in it well.

He's napping in it right now!  I set him in it this morning so I could get food.  He started off awake and happy but drifted off to sleep.  That was an hour and a half ago!!  I tried to nap but he was sleeping restlessly and any time he stirred I'd be on alert.  Moms, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.  As I watched him sleep in his swing, I admired his peaceful countenance and adorable features.  Suddenly, I realized that I wanted to be holding him in my arms while he slept!  I couldn't believe it!  The point of the swing was so that I don't have to hold him.  And here I was wishing I could pick him up and hold him.  But I didn't want to wake him.

My MIL reminded me of a little poem I pinned on pinterest a while before K was born.

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
For babies grow up, we've learned to our sorrow
So settle down cobwebs, dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my babies, and babies don't keep.

Our little K is 10 weeks old this week.  I cannot believe how quickly this time has flown by.  Pretty soon, he's going to move into the next clothing size bracket.  How is this possible when he was *just* born?  I remind myself daily that he will never be as he is today.  I have to just take it all in and live in the moment.  I don't think I've ever really understood what it means to live in the moment.  Right now, it means to enjoy my son just as he is.

Having said all that, I'm (still) looking forward to a time when he is able to have a routine. Though it might still not show up for another few months!  






Babies don't keep :) 


At the hospital.  Yesterday morning.







1 comment:

Mrs. Loquacious said...

This is why I still nap with D. Aside from the bad habit part, I hate being away from her, and even the crib is sometimes viewed as a barrier to my cuddling my girl!