When we were married half a decade ago, Brad came from a couple of years of house sharing in which the house television didn't belong to him. I came from my parents' house where I could've had a television come with me, but I chose not to. I didn't use the machine too much.
We decided to go without simply on the basis of cost. I was probably more of a financial liability than anything else at the time we were married. Plus the fact that I was still a university student. What were we thinking?.... That's for another post....
Anyway, living on one (modest) income for a couple calls for lean times. We needed internet so that's all we got for that first year. I actually took pride in not having a television. When people looked at us (or just me) incredulously, I would smile smugly and proclaim, "Yup. It's great." And it was.
After I became a financial contributer versus a liability, we continued to relish our television-free lifestyle. We did miss hockey games and relied on the love and hospitality of family members and friends during these times. Or we listened to it on the radio. We joke a lot, even now, that when we see brightly-lit, moving pictures anywhere, we get easily distracted. It's gotten better (I think) due to our frequent viewing of our corner gas dvds, all 107 episodes of it.
Prior to getting rid of television, I didn't love many show. I thought of it mostly harmless, innocuous, somewhat stupid. I could easily live with or without it. Apparently, that's a symptom of desensitization.
It's been about five years since we've gone without this form of mass media. And it has certainly brought sensitivity into my perspective. When television opportunities arise, I've noticed a few things about television, including shows and advertisements. Commercials in particular are steeped with incorrect views of humans, the world, perpetuating lies, delusions and destructive behaviours. Ads exploit human weaknesses, flaws and conditions in order to fill their master's pockets. Shows nearly always rely on sin and the sinful condition for fodder. Only daytime reality shows are somewhat harmless, with the exception of some ridiculous bride/wedding shows. I cannot name a show that even might align to a biblical worldview. Mind you, I don't know many shows anymore so maybe you can try the exercise on my behalf. I can name many shows that don't align - even lacking 5 years of experience doesn't impede that ability.
I think it is pretty safe to say that we will likely be without television for a long time. There are very few things on television to which I feel are harmless enough to expose my weak human condition. I am sinful enough as it is - I don't need help from greedy North American media intent on capitalizing on my spiritual (and physical) destruction.
1 comment:
The TV (particularly sports channels) is *great* for background noise as my dad naps on the couch. Also, nature (e.g. NatGeo) shows are completely harmless (unless one is offended by the mating rituals of lions or something).
There aren't too many shows that are redeemable, however; it's important to watch with some sort of Biblical filter so that you can figure out what to reject, receive and redeem. Glad you continue to enjoy your TV-free existence :)
Post a Comment