maybe success is measured best by nothing less than our obedience. - J.N.

April 30, 2011

Let me help (enable) you!

I've had someone recently ask for tips on buying secondhand - a.k.a thrifting. So I wrote this 500 word response via facebook message. What a nerd....! Anyway, here it is in case anyone else who reads this little page would like to try it out.

Of course I would love to enable/help you! hehe


The first thing I'd say is to find some thrift stores in your area, that you can get to quite easily. Because it's never a guarantee that you'll find something each time you go to the thrift store, you don't want to make a huge trip out of it. My two favorite and local thrift stores (Salvation army on Kingsway, and Burnaby Hospice Thrift store) are both less than 5 minutes from my house.


Second, what is important to you in terms of shopping secondhand? There are several reasons people do this...

1- frugality

2-environmentally friendly... less trash at the landfill, less new packaging being bought, etc.

3- anti-consumerist attitude (down with capitalism!!!!)

4- hobby/collecting particular things...


For myself, it's a combination of all of the above with environmentally friendliness being my top priority. That said, I allow myself occasions and certain items when retail is necessary (no secondhand undergarments for me!)


Third, do some research. There are a ton of thrifting blogs out there. Even a lot of crafting blogs have a thrifting section. A very very practical and useful thrift blog is http://thethriftychicks.blogspot.com/


She has some useful "guides" to help begin your thrifting adventure. Also, you can find many links to other thrift blogs that you like. Another one I frequent is http://apronthriftgirl.typepad.com/apron_thrift_girl/


Browsing these blogs regularly also fuels creativity for refinishing, repurposing, reusing, etc all sorts of different items.


Fourth, this one I learned after about a year of thrifting... it would've really helped me save a few impulse thrift items! Make a list of things to look out for. E.g. cheap/cute fabric for sewing, containers to organize [whatever], red belt for me, etc. That way, you won't be tempted by some excellent condition, random thing that is such a good deal but in the end isn't very usable for you or your family (true story... unfortunately). Sometimes though, that random, excellent deal that you can't pass out turns out awesome though, so this point is really just a guideline.


Fifth, just do it! Jump into a store, ditch the retail mindset (see thrifty chicks' article on retail mindset), and explore. Use your imagination and creativity when figuring out what to do. Find out what you're attracted to. Always, always, always buy only what you love when it's for your home, your family members, a gift, or for yourself.


These points are what it boils down to, for me anyway! It works pretty well for me.


Oh and don't forget garage sales! I don't get to stop by them because I never have cash, but those are good too. And if you're comfortable with the craigslist route, there are good deals to be had there. Just always go with someone else, preferably a man. And always meet in a very public place (malls, coffee shops, etc.)


There you have it, folks. It really isn't a complicated thing. Though if you're used to instant gratification, you won't find thrifting very satisfactory to your tastes.


I also recommend owning a washing machine if you want to thrift clothing. Just sayin'




No comments: