maybe success is measured best by nothing less than our obedience. - J.N.

February 1, 2011

Ransom

Awhile ago, a friend and I had a meal at a certain Thai restaurant. We had a nice meal, a good visit and when we went to pay, I gave my friend cash for my portion. She paid for the rest on her debit. We went our separate ways.

After I stepped out of the restaurant, I went to browse in a local clothing store for a few minutes. As I was exiting to head home, I reached for my cell phone to inform my husband of my impending arrival. But no cell phone. Check my pocket. Nothing. Check everywhere in my purse. Can't find the phone.

I guess I left it in the restaurant - no biggie.

I head over to the restaurant, approach the server who recognized me and gestured for me to go to the cashier lady. So I walk up to the counter to inquire about a cell phone being left behind. Seemed promising!

"Oh... there wasn't enough," she informed me.

I wasn't sure that they understood my question, "No, " I replied, "I think I left my cell phone behind earlier. Is there a cell phone here?"

"If there were any problems, issues, just talk to us." The lady persisted. Eh? I thought to myself.... Okay I'll speak simpler.

"I lost my cell phone. I was sitting at that table. Did you find a cell phone?" I tried.

"Like, was something wrong? How come there wasn't a tip?" she finally said.

*DING DING DING* "Oh you mean my friend forgot to leave a tip?" I said.

"Yes! If there's problems, you should talk to us about it...." the cashier lady reiterated.

"Well I can take care of that, no worries..." I said as I hand her some money to break into change. I left a nice tip, STILL NOT KNOWING whether or not they understood me regarding the cell phone situation. They had, not once, referred to or acknowledged my request.

As soon as I left the money, they reached for my phone stowed under their counter and handed it to me.

I. was. floored.

I would've been livid had I not been so blown away by what had just happened. I wanted to take the gratuity back for their sheer lack of decency, good-will and kindness. Perhaps my friend saw something that I didn't. Perhaps she didn't forget. She probably did it on purpose.

Had they immediately been of assistance to me in the cell phone issue, then kindly mention the lack of tip, I would've been more than happy to give them their due.

Needless to say, I have not been back to that restaurant since they held my phone for ransom.

2 comments:

Helen said...

Is this the one at Metro?

M-Squared Family said...

That's unbelievable! I can't believe they would do that, but I am glad that you got your cell phone back.