For a while, Brad and I have wanted a pet. The timing has not been good, and when it had been, we were not on the ball. Well, in October when Brad was thinking about what to get me for my birthday, all he could think of was my persistent request for a cat. Really, I'd like a dog but since our current accommodations aren't ideal for a large dog (as I'd want a large dog), we thought a cat would be alright.
For my birthday, Brad got me a petsmart gift card with the intention of getting a cat at Christmastime when I would be home for two solid weeks to help the kitty adjust. Last Sunday (not yesterday), we adopted Maomao.
The day before last Sunday (so last Saturday), we popped into our local petsmart just to check out the kitties. And there were two tiny things!! A brother and a sister. So tiny. So cute. So not adopted separately, the adoption lady said. "They're so little, I'd like them to be kept together" said the adoption lady. We went home that night discussing the pros and cons of adopting them both. Of course they could get into more trouble, there's more food, more litter, more of whatever negative one can come up with. But there's also more lovin', more cuteness, more cuddles, more shenanigans, more of whatever positive things one can come up with.
We were stuck on the idea of two kitties.
"Be prompt," the adoption lady said, "they may be gone quickly if you don't come at 12 noon when I get here." We went promptly after church the next day, approximately 12:30-ish, and another man was signing papers for the two little babies already. We were disappointed, but Brad said he had played with another kitty that she had brought to the adoption centre that morning. "I like her more than the other two brother kitties" that were there also there. We went to check it out later that afternoon as I had a previous engagement.
We played with the two brothers. Beautiful white cats with large camel coloured patches. They were such beautiful cats. And they were so well-behaved. So much so that all they did was... sleep. Every time we saw those cats (a few times in the duration of last week), they just slept. And they were a little bit stinky.
So I played with the "other kitty". She was cuddly, inquisitive, and adorable. We wanted her. So we adopted her and brought her home and call her Maomao.

She had a cold when we brought her home and a couple of days later, we discovered that she also has a skin fungus called ringworm. The cat lady aka adoption lady, but she's the cat lady now that we've discovered she is sheltering 16 kitties in her own home. Anyway, the cat lady gave us some cream to apply and it seems to be working well. We haven't found anymore hairless patches and fur seems to be growing back where she had lost it due to the fungus. Her cold is also a lot better. Which is good because she needs her first vaccinations soon...!So what about kitty number 2? Well, cat lady told us that she had another kitten at home that, if we were interested, she would bring next weekend (this past one) and we could adopt him too. So of course, we checked it out on Saturday. And here is Mukmuk, otherwise known as Tiggy, squawk, squawk box, snotty-stinky-squawk, mucousy muk.... poor thing also has a bad cold right now. He is a little bit smaller than Mao, but he looks bigger today than he has all weekend. The pictures I have are from Saturday, so honestly, I DO think he's gotten a bit bigger since then.
Mukmuk LOVES cuddles and being pet by the humans. He is not overly fond of Maomao as she beats up on him. Though Mao enjoys being pet and held, it is not as much of a priority for her so there's not too much jealousy in that respect. Muk also likes soft spots, Mao likes textured spots and she doesn't enjoy soft cushiony things. Muk likes higher up spots (on human bed, chairs, tables), Mao likes enclosed spaces (under chairs, under bed, space between chairs and table). They both enjoy sitting on the computer table, and playing with the keyboard. Muk likes to look at the monitor. Mao doesn't really care. She just likes sitting on the keyboard.
So here are our two kitties in a nutshell. I'm sure there will be many posts about them in the future.
Oh, and I totally recommend getting pets before getting children. hahahahaha... it was so interesting the things that Brad and I have to discuss and decide in regards to pet behavior and what was acceptable/permissible and what was not okay. Even negotiating pet chores give us an idea of what is to come when human babies come along. It may be absurd to some ears (eyes??), but it really is good training before real kidlets come along. And I've only been a pet owner for 1+ week!!
7 comments:
I prefer dogs, and if I ever had to get a cat, I'd try to get one of those tiny teacup varieties that never seem to get big. Kittens are cute but when they're big, I don't find them as cute. Alas, Hubbs' allergies means I'll never have a pet unless it lives in water.
As for pet before progeny, I'm thinking we'll skip this step and go straight for babies. Some of us have aging eggs ;)
awwwww sharona... they are soooo cute!!!!!! well done you guys! beautiful photos! have lots of fun with them!!! :) miss you! xoxoxox
I love Maomao...I can't stop talking about her.....><
very cute, i'm sorta jealous! i miss having a cat around...look forward to seeing lots more pictures of the newest additions to your house!
Your kittens are so cute - fabulous photos! I agree too that it's great to get a pet before kiddies come along :D We got our cat Koal as our "practice child" before children eventually join the family.
your kitties are adorable! i guess we went "backwards" on this one. we had the kids first and plan on getting a dog when we have the space for it :)
hehehee - we had cats first too - now we have cats AND kids - and in many ways the cats are more of a trial as my children are now fully house trained whereas our poor disturbed Kipper (who had a nasty start in life) still sometimes forgets what is carpet and what is litter tray ;o) Enjoy your cats - and it all bodes well for future kids if you can agree on the cat litter chores ;o) xx
Post a Comment