Yesterday evening we had the pleasure of visiting with a family, at the time a couple, who used to live here but moved out to Saskatchewan a few years ago. Their little one was such an adorable dumpling! I totally have baby fever, I am not ashamed to admit it. I talk about babies, I love babies, I want babies.... later. In the meantime, I love to teach, play with, and love other people's children, and wave 'see ya later' happily and willingly as they go home with their parents.
Our friend's dumpling was just the cutest thing. I could tell that he generally had a happy disposition. He was giggly, happy, cooing, curious, and energetic for about half of the time he visited with us. But he was intent on exploring where parental units wouldn't venture, and so was thwarted too many times for his liking. This resulted in vocal frustration.
Soon, it was past his bedtime and it got harder and harder to placate him. Not that he should be placated. Mum & Dad wisely intuited that he ought to just go to bed. Dumpling waved good-bye happily and blew kisses, knowing that rest would soon be his as his parents walked him toward his car seat.
Throughout the evening, I enjoyed making faces at him, playing with him, following him around lest he should hurt his head (stubbing toes, and skinning knees are okay though... both occurred), and laughing at him whenever he whimpered, pouted, and cried in frustration.
I couldn't help it. Crying, mopey, sulky toddlers make me laugh! They're just so sad and pitiful; it just feels like the end of the world for them. I'm not sure why crying children entertain me, but it could stem from the following series of Hong Kong photos that I spent perusing in my Canadian childhood...

Photo 1
Look past my sister's glowing head and booklet. Peer into the shadow where my little self lingers. You will see the pout and droopy eyes. I am definitely about to whimper. That is a whimper face if I've ever seen one... Why dad would want to chronicle such humiliating moments is beyond me. But in light of the next photos, this one is probably just slightly embarrassing.

Photo 2
I'm not quite sure what my smooth-skinned grandma is doing in the foreground of this picture but perhaps it has something to do with my sheepish hiding and wretched expression. Again, the eyes aren't so visible, so it's not quite as amusing as the next two...

Photo 3
I have an impression of this situation. I seem to recall sitting in front of that open cupboard in the background, amidst a mess of cupboard contents strewn around me. I remember feeling rather distraught, uncomfortable... Of course, the face attests to those feelings undoubtedly... as my mom spoke firmly to me. She had this strange habit of wagging a pointed finger at me when she didn't think I ought to be crying, with an expression of sternness though I could never be sure that she was that serious with that glimmer in her eyes, and demanding that I smile. I'm pretty sure she did this in the affair of the strewn cupboard contents.

Photo 4
This is my favourite crying picture. Just look at the anguish in my eyes, my facial features, the tense muscles, the silent wail that I know you hear as you look at little Sharon's face! It is SO dramatic. I tell stories about dramatic, young children and here is hard evidence that I will never escape the drama llama. It is inside me, somewhere, even if not on my sleeve. For that little girl in the blue nightshirt and bangs resembling a little boys', the world has just ended. She doesn't even know what to do with her hands, pitiful little thing... I have not even a single clue why I was in tears at that moment. Perhaps I had premonitions about these crying photos humiliating me when I am considered "grown-up".
Thanks, Dad.
ETA August 2, 2009
Here is one more in the crying series. There actually is a funny picture sequence for this photo. You'll have to check out my sister's facebook for the story though.

Does she (yes, that is my sister even though it resembles a little boy...) look guilty and rebellious or what? hahaha
1 comment:
HEY! at least I look like a cute little boy....
hahaha those were all the crying photos you could find? I bet I could find more of myself! xD
Post a Comment