maybe success is measured best by nothing less than our obedience. - J.N.

October 31, 2008

A few minutes


Since I've a few minutes to spare before we head to Awana this Friday evening, I thought I'd write a quick 'perspective' into my life so far...

Are we ever not busy?  Even amidst opportunities to take time and rest, to relax, to laugh and play a little bit, we (this is the general "we", not just our little family) are still busy.  Well, that is the life right now.  There is little time to play, and just enough time to rest and relax so that we maintain our sanity, our priorities.  

I am at school often.  Probably about 50-ish hours weekly average.  But it doesn't feel like work.  It's nice that I get a paycheque for it, but when I do it, it just doesn't feel like work.  When speaking of my work, I don't say "so, at work..." or "gotta go to work!"  It's just something that I do.  And it's good stuff...

On that note, "work" is pretty intense.  Each day is just a whirlwind of activity, emotions, thoughts, funny stories, strange actions/reactions, sweet smiles, cute voices, achievements.  What a blessing it is to "work" where I am.  On a nearly weekly basis, I'm reminded that teachers aren't lone rangers (literally... friends will remind me!).  My colleagues and fellow teachers are my cheerleaders and supporters as I am to them also.  I'm regularly asked, 
"How's it going?"  
"Are you doing o.k?"  
"Is there anything I can help you with?"  
"How are the kinders today?"  
"Let me know if I can help you with _______."  
And how rare it is to work in a place where so many people love God, yet they're not the slightest bit afraid to admit their human weaknesses.  Staff devotions are one of my favorite times each week as we get hear each others' stories and journeys, struggles and lessons.

And there are so many lessons.  Each week, I learn something new, and I am humbled.  One of the most humbling lessons I've noticed this week has to do with my recent student teacher attitudes.  When I was doing my practicum, I remember thinking to myself while dropping things off in my practicum teacher's mailbox, "Man, it sure is disorganized in here!  He's got stuff from ages ago...!"  Well friends, my practicum teacher (and friend) has nothing on my mailbox at school right now.  We have very large boxes, almost cubby-like in size.  Mine is, no joke, half-full of papers, notices, advertisements, catalogues, scholastic book orders, library requests, communication binders, and the like... yikes.  I don't even want to look at it but I HAVE to on a daily basis, of course.  Please forgive my green attitude.  I am humbled...

Parent-teacher conferences are coming up.  I'm certain that God has a great sense of humor.  Brad often hears me say this because what in the world is a first-year teacher, fresh out of university, doing with 40 students?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!  40 interviews.  40 report cards.  THIS TERM!!!!  sigh...  somehow it will get done.  I am blessed to have a very very gracious (and merciful) and supportive administration.  And I'm getting much better at requesting help - a fruit in my lessons of humility.  

Oh yeah, our new house!!  I've forgotten about that... I'm still not ready to take pictures and post because I've not had the opportunity to spruce it up to my liking.  But you friends, you've been so patient thus far so I'm not in a hurry.  Sorry... 

Lemme share a few field-trip pictures to make up for it.


The Location



Feeding black angus cows


Listening to farmer Bill

1 comment:

Karen said...

thanks sharon for the update on your life! i'm glad school is going well, can't wait to see pics of your new place. take care!