maybe success is measured best by nothing less than our obedience. - J.N.

April 4, 2013

Diapers

I thought this being on maternity leave thing meant that I'll be able to blog more often.  This is NOT the case at all as I've discovered.  Especially since my baby is not a good day sleeper.

He's a pretty good night sleeper.  Goes down relatively well, willing to sleep in his bassinet, wakes up up to a few times a night, and goes back to sleep easily after nursing.  Can't complain!

But during the day, this little kid is pooped.  He often sleeps about 20 minutes, never actually getting restful, restorative sleep.  This can happen several times a day.  I've been starting to notice that his day sleeps are stretching out a little bit, but still.  Not a guarantee.  Pray for us....!

My newest obsession is: CLOTH DIAPERS!  Oh baby...

We were fortunate to purchase a used set of cloth diapers from a friend.  We didn't have to pay premium prices for our Mother Ease One-size fitted diapers.  Yes - you read right.  One size.  Needless to say, my little one has a massive bum all the time as he is on the small side of his age group.  It's a bit of a hunt as we also have to covers to fit over the massiveness (the cover is the water proof part of the cloth diapering system.)

A couple of weeks ago, I decided that it was time to quit changing his diaper in the middle of the night. Only nursing allowed!  So I used the bumgenius pocket diapers, with extra padding for more absorbency, and it's managed to hold all his night pee.  He pees a lot at night at the moment.  We've had a couple of leaks as we've experimented with what works best.  I think I will have to replace the microfibre padding inside the pocket with some natural inserts like hemp or bamboo which are more absorbent and less smelly.

Eventually though, K's night diapers will change to completely natural fibres.  This is so that his bum, being wrapped for 12 hours, can breathe preventing diaper rash and being generally more comfortable. Fibres that many people use for night diapers: hemp, bamboo and wool.

I've purchased a few bamboo and hemp options (even got some great deals on new items off craiglist), and ordered a few more bamboo and hemp options from a B.C. online diaper store, and will order some wool off etsy, then we'll be ready to start our night time diapering regime.  I'm waaayyyyy too excited for this than I should be.  Who would've thought that poop & pee catchers would become a hobby of mine?

Our awesome bumgenius pocket diapers will become his going out diapers.  As of now, we are still using disposables when we go out.  That will change soon and our little one's bum will be fluffed out all the time.  heehehehhe




Our cool kid





2 comments:

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Cloth diapers are a noble endeavour, and a great hobby, apparently ;) I cannot bring myself to create more laundry or scrape poo off these reusables, however. You are a more ambitious woman than I! ;)

Ps - are you going in next week? Maybe we will come too!

Unknown said...

Cloth diapers??? No wonder you don't have more blogging time! :)