maybe success is measured best by nothing less than our obedience. - J.N.

August 1, 2012

Gratitude

I read somewhere, some secular article I'm sure, suggested that keeping track of what I'm thankful for would improve my life.  I could be mistaken, but this article probably had to do with the North American obsession with perfection: perfect life, perfect family, perfect body, perfect job, perfect medical advances all leading to perfect happiness.  Blah blah blah...

Anyway, it did get me to realize that I do enjoy journaling.  I usually journal as a stress relief, so most of my past journal entries usually reflect more dramatic, extreme and intense moments in my life.  Otherwise, not much is recorded about real life, so to speak.  But if I only need to record the positive tidbits each day, be it one sentence, barely a sentence, or five, it would be 1) feasible 2) good practice 3)worshipful.  Since our 20 week u/s for little bao, I've started this practice.  I consider what I'm thankful for each day, even if merely a passing thought, and record it.  Sometimes I have to write retroactively, but I find that it works because I'm being quite intentional about it.

Today, I will record in my journal that I'm thankful for hymns.  These hymns of old are beautiful in melody and lyrics.  There's so much truth and theology in many hymns that I can't resist loving them over more modern songs of praise and worship.  The exceptions are contemporary songs that are plain and rich in scriptural truth and understanding (e.g. Jimmy Needham).

I'm trying to compile a list of favourite hymns that are appropriate for childhood.  This is very difficult because a mixed cd with too much musical variety will be confusing.  There are very few albums out there that contain the majority of my selected pieces.  Many of the versions I like are instrumental.  It's going to be a compromise, I think, in regards to what I finally select to play in our home (and in my classroom... yay!)

The other thing that I'm grateful for this week are lessons in pride and humility.  I must admit, it's been a little bit since my pride has been thoroughly smarted.  Usually these lessons happen in higher frequency during the teaching year, when I'm "in my element" so to speak.  God is very clear to me when I'm working that He is my source for everything, including teaching ability and skills, not myself.  I have a tendency to claim His gift to me as mine own.  I'm totally the shizzle.  Very regularly do I need humbling and reminders.  I'm grateful that He is working on me.  And working on me yet.

On Monday, a semi-large spiel of events led to my very first parking ticket!  I'm grateful that I have the resources to pay for this ticket, and this lesson.  But the story goes...

I wanted to purchase this locally, hand-made bunting flag for little bao's room.  I intend for it to be the only new, decorative item I buy for decor in his/her room.  I requested a local pickup to save on the shipping charges, and also use the opportunity to do some shopping in Kits, where the item was to be picked up.  High-end baby stores and my favourite chain thrift store - Hello!  Perfect mommy/baby prepping time.

I parked at the Salvation Army Store parkade, two blocks away, and in my sheer pregnancy delusion, insanity, cheapness, opted out on paying for a second hour, and proceeded to do my thing:

  • get flags, 
  • get coffee, a sandwich and yummy shortbread
  • enjoy iPhone time at cafe, 
  • tip baristas ridiculously well, 
  • shop at Sally Ann, 
  • internally scoff at customers trying to get extra discounts at a non-profit organization, 
  • be lackadaisical about my parking limit, 
  • purchase my thrifted goodies, 
  • go to pay for extra time on my parking so that I could continue shopping West 4th, 
  • give a loonie away (yes - it was only a loonie.  I know, I'm messed up) to other people who only had a toonie for parking, 
  • pay another loonie for myself, 
  • and return to my car,
  • discover a parking ticket.  


UGH.

Irony of ironies.  In that hour of reflection post-ticket discovery, all my moments of generosity-pride smacked me in the behind of the mind.  How could I have been so dumb?  With my tail between my legs, I phoned my beloved hubby and broke the news to him.  He was very gracious and forgiving of my pride blunders, bless that man.

May this be my only ticket-related lesson in pride.













No comments: